What would you do?

Let's talk strategy. Playing position? Pot odds? Tournament play? Chasing? Playing suited connectors? Pre-flop play? We want PBL to be a place where players think about their game and want to improve.... so please post your thoughts and comments on poker strategy.

What would you do?

Postby 2eighty8 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:58 am

Hey, guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while. Life's been busy. So busy, in fact, that last week was the first time i've played a hand! (Wasn't on TP, but FTP and for money....still poker though.) Anyways, just had something to ask.

You sit down with a hundred bucks at a $2/5 ring game, throw in the blinds (because you're just a seat after the button, so why not?) and dealt pocket sixes. You check, trying to get a feel for the table, as well as the blinds. Flop comes Q-6-8 rainbow. BB bets $10, you call with someone else. Turn is a jack. BB bets $25, you call, other guy folds. River is a duece. BB goes all in with his remaining $48. What would you do?
2eighty8

Re: What would you do?

Postby codemaker on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:16 am

probably lose my shirt.....my guess is he had trip 8s or Qs but its tough to fold a set. Not having a feel for the table this is a very hard read. I guess the right move would have been reraise the bet after the flop to feel him out. Still not having a feel for the table I am not sure that would work either.
codemaker

Postby Insidestr8 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 am

Yeah I could lose a lot of money here too. I think I would have done the reraise on the flop too though I can see how the flop seemed pretty harmless. My guess is that he's got 9-10 and that he bet the $10 on the flop since he had a double gut shot draw for the straight. I usually bet the draw there too since you've eight outs (so about a 1 in 3 chance of hitting hit) and you can also pick up the pot with the bet. The tough part for you is just sitting down at the table so you don't really have a feel for what's going on and I usually don't feel "into" the game that early in it. If it's me, I'd lay down the trips there since I can make a pretty good case for him having me beat.

My problem is that I don't think all that much while I'm playing so I play tourneys more then ring games. Let me know if I'm close on this and maybe I'll find a ring game or two in the future. :lol:
Insidestr8

Postby Ponch8000 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Question is...what did you do:)
Ponch8000

Postby Aaaces on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 am

thats what I want to know too.
What did you do?
Aaaces

Return to Poker Thoughts & Strategy