Busting Out

Poker strategies - moderated by InsideStr8

Moderator: Insidestr8

Busting Out

Postby Insidestr8 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm

As you get late into a tournament the approach taken to hands will change. Here are just a couple of situations where I busted out and some thoughts behind them.

First Case
In the first case Mimi busted me a week or two by calling my all in with something like Q-6. Just looking at calling an all in with Q-6 you might think its a donkey move, BUT, based on where we were in the tournament, what the chip stacks were, and who she was playing against it wasn't a bad call at all. At the time Mimi was the dominant stack and had about 7,000 in chips. I was the short stack and had about 800 chips and the big blind was likely 200 or something like that. I was in middle position and players before me had folded. I had a weak Ace and since I only had a few big blinds left I went all in. People folded around to Mimi and she thought for a bit, and then she called my all in so we were heads up.

I don't know her thinking, but I'm hoping she thinks I'm an ok player and that at that point of the tournament, and with my small stack size, I'd go in with a very wide variety of hands including small suited connectors. Q-6 isn't a great hand, but against some of the hands I might have she might be ahead, and against many of the hands I might have she would only be a 60-40 underdog. The other point for her to look at was stack size. Her calling me only cost her about 10% of her stack and even if she lost she would still be the major stack at the table so the risk was minor. Also, I think I'm a good player at PBL, so she also had the chance to knock me out of the tournament without putting her stack in jeopardy. She made the call, she was about a 60-40 underdog, and she won. Its not a bad beat or suck out as far as I'm concerned since to me I can see the logic behind her call. If I wasn't the small stack and if she didn't have me dominated I doubt she would have made the call.

Second Case
Last night I was one of the small stacks and we were at the bubble in the final table. I was dealt pocket 10s and I think I may have had about two and a half times the big blind. The other small stack was on the big blind and I was going to go all in hoping to take the small stack's big blind, or to force that person all in. However, a big stack made a bet before. I changed my mind at that point since I didn't think I had enough of a stack to force the big stack out, and the big stack was already doing my work for me by raising the small stacked big blind. So I went sucky and folded. Well the small stack big blind called the big stack and won the hand and doubled up leaving me as the small stack. I think my pocket 10s would have held up, but I didn't want to take the chance at that point of the tournament. How did the poker gods reward my cowardly fold? Well I got AA on the next hand and went all in. Lulu called me with her KK and caught a K on the flop knocking me out.

I second guessed myself a bit for the fold of the pocket 10s on the previous hand but at that point I was playing the bubble and didn't want to challenge the big blind when I thought the other small stack was teetering and being pressured by the big stack. If I had a bigger stack at I would have raised with the pocket 10s. A wimpy play by me I guess and I guess the poker gods felt that way too.

Anyway, here are two recent scenarios I was involved with near the end of recent tournaments and I wanted to give you my thoughts on how I played the hand and what I think the other person might have been thinking in one of them. Thoughts and comments are appreciated, as are disagreements. :)
Insidestr8

Re: Busting Out

Postby mimi girl on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Thank you str8, that was such a nice compliment. As for your playing, I think your one of the best players. Thats why Your compliment means alot to me. Thank you, see ya at the tables, 'SMILES"

mimi
mimi girl

Return to Poker Str8 Talk