You're not a good player if....

Poker strategies - moderated by InsideStr8

Moderator: Insidestr8

You're not a good player if....

Postby Insidestr8 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Just thinking... since we're talking a bit about what a good player is, I'm curious as to what things you think show whether someone is a good player, or not a good player. So please post your thoughts.

Here's one to start with.

You're not a good player if others know how you play... but you're a very good player if others think they know how you play.
Insidestr8

Re: You're not a good player if....

Postby WGGVoodooman on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 pm

A good player is unpredictable, and changes play styles. A not good player, stays the same play style
WGGVoodooman

Postby Stumilty on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 pm

This is exactly why I am not a good player, I usually play the same way, and even when I think I am changing it up, I rarely do it successfully, probably because I am tight and to me loose is like the anti-christ :)
I work on different things but I always go back to whats worked in the past, and that makes me predictable, and likely easy to play against.

However, the topic is .... you are not a good player, if you find yourself overly committed to losing hands time and time again, such as calling big bets till the river, and then missing completely, or calling the turn bet with no pair, one over card and no draws. These are all losing positions, and should be minimized if not eliminated altogether if you want to be a good player.
Stumilty

Postby Insidestr8 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 am

How about this...

You're not a good player if you check and then call bets more often then you make bets or make raises...

One of the reasons being that if your hand is good enough to call a bet with, then why not make the bet in the first place. If you make the bet first you have a chance of winning the hand right there since the other person may fold. Also by leading out with the bet you get an idea of how strong your opponent's hand is by whether they just call you or raise you. If you get in the habit of always just calling then you never really get a clue of where you stand in the hand and often just toss away your money on each street by calling all the way to the river.
Insidestr8

Postby WGGVoodooman on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

Also when you bet when you know you have a losing hand. (high card)
WGGVoodooman

Postby hemiboy on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:06 pm

your only reason for calling a bet is that u feel lucky
Last edited by hemiboy on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
hemiboy

Postby Ponch8000 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 pm

.... you cant get good cards.
Ponch8000

Postby codemaker on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:04 pm

.....you dont try to improve your play and take each game no matter what the stakes as one you want to win.
codemaker

Postby EnrgizrBunny on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:48 pm

You lose interest in the game, so you go all in with poor cards - with no regard to those who still care about the game.
EnrgizrBunny

Return to Poker Str8 Talk